Tips for Trips
Biskupská kupa observation tower (890 m. above sea level)
Eighteen metres high stone observation tower, the oldest one in the Jeseníky, was build in 1898 on the occasion of 50 years of the reign of emperor František Josef I. It stands on the place of timber observation tower from 1890 (built by the same architects), in which the first sub-post office in Moravia was established in 1896. Since 1996, after the reconstruction by the town Zlaté hory, it has been re-opened to public. Near the tower, there is a border check-point on the tourist track. More information on www.rozhlednabiskupskakupa.cz.
Recreational and tourist spot 10 km distant from the area. It is the largest Moravian upland peat-bog. The most well-known part of the reserve - Velké mechové jezírko - is more than 7000 years old and a nature trail leads along there. Ruins of medieval Koberštejn castle make the dominating feature of Rejvíz
Zlatorudné mlýny and Údolí Ztracených štol (valley)
Medieval open-air museum of mining with functional exhibits which reminds of the period of the greatest bloom of the Zlaté Hory town, connected to the gold mining. The valley's upland character and water-wheel cascade positioning upright to the slope creates enchanting corner - just like the time froze there. The nature trail will also lead you to the place where 'the water flows uphill'.
Town Museum Zlaté Hory
expositions on the history of mining, town and witch trials in 17th century.
Mining nature trail
is a circuit beginning and ending at the Town Museum. It acquaints with the remains of mining activities since the 13th century. A guide can be arranged at the museum.
St. Roch's church
build in 1666 as a symbol of protection from plague. In January 1779, a battle between Austrian and Prussian armies was fought there. A fresco, depicting armies' disposition is preserved inside the church.
Ruins of the Edelštejn castle
lying on the northern slope of Příčná hora. One of the mightiest medieval castles in Silesia, its ruins lie on the northern slope of Příčná mountain. It served as a border fortress and a guardian of goldmines. Gold and colonization by bishops from Vratislav on one side and Moravian princes on the other turned this region into provincial frontier and a place of frequent conflicts between the two powers.
Ruins of the Leuchtenštejn castle (Luminary castle)
There are ruins of a tiny Leuchtenštejn sentry keep on the northern shoulder of Biskupská kupa. It was built probably in the second half of 13th century like the Edelštejn castle. Its very location, which enables widespread view of Polish lowlands, and its name implies that it served as signal point for warning against incoming threat and for protecting the provincial frontier, road and goldmines.
Ondřejovice and the valley of Javorné
Rubbles of buildings on the site where Latzdorfské železárny once stood in years 1800-1918. High quality sheet metal produced there was used for a construction of government and other prominent buildings all over the Europe.
Pilgrimage church of Panna Marie Pomocná (Maria Hilfe Kirche)
The church is located on the eastern slope of Příčná mountain. This popular Silesian pilgrimage destination has its own stirred history. Its origination is connected to a story from the Thirty Years' War. More information on www.marialhilf.hyperlink.cz.
Other matters of interest:
- Vintage Museum in Česká Ves
- Na Špičáku cavern
- Na Pomezí cavern
- Jánský Vrch castle in Javorník
- Covered sport shooting range in Jeseník